"When a soul recognises the will of God and shows a readiness to submit to it entirely, then God gives Himself to such a soul and renders it most powerful succour under all circumstances." - Rev. Jean-Pierre de Caussade

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Recent Reads (May '17 edition)

Welcome to another episode of Jen Reads Too Much!

GoodReads informs me I'm 8 books ahead of schedule in my Reading Challenge. Buuuut there's just so many books on my to-read list! I can't stop! And now it's summer and we FINALLY put up a fence (post forthcoming I hope!) and so we will be outside a lot while the boys play and I read. Anyways. About those books I've been reading....


Boundaries by Drs. Henry Cloud & John Townsend

I used to own this book because everyone raved about it when I worked at Family Christian Bookstore in college (random fact #1). I only read maybe half, just couldn't get into it, and got rid of it a couple years ago. But this time around, it was life-changing - I was kicking myself for getting rid of it, as I will refer back to it often. (I did end up buying it on Kindle for like $2.) So I guess it just depends on the relationships in your life as to whether or not you should read this!

The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels by Rea Drummond

I came across this while browsing my library's biography section (my weakness, apparently). Some parts were funny, some were annoying. I'm a big fan of memoirs so I liked hearing her love story. It was drawn out, though, and she's got a particular writing style that's probably not for everyone.

33 Days to Merciful Love: A DIY Retreat in Preparation for Divine Mercy Consecration by Fr. Michael Gaitley

Well, this is one of those books that I might be reading every single year. Normally, I'm not good at reading daily devotions or anything like that, but I did not miss a day of this - I looked forward to reading it every day! So much good stuff in it.

Being Mortal by Atul Gawande

This wins the award for Most Unexpected 5-Star Read this year. A couple other bloggers (I think Hannah G. and Alicia?) recommended it and it was fascinating! A surgeon explains the history of aging, the birth of nursing homes and assisted living, and discusses what's really important at the end of life. It was totally up my alley because I'm a Registered Nurse (not currently working because of all these babies) and my dream job has always been hospice (random fact #2). But I think everyone should read it!

Little Women (Book One) by Louisa May Alcott

I confessed never having read this in its entirety before, and it was actually the book I chose for my reading challenge with friends - "a book I abandoned." It took me awhile to get into it (um, again), but I ended up loving it. Jo and Laurie's relationship = all the heart-eye emojis.

Commonwealth by Ann Patchett

I read this because I kept seeing it mentioned EVERYWHERE. It's my first book by Ann Patchett, and while I loved her writing style, the actual plot was just not my cup of tea. There were things I did like about it though...

Read any good books lately? I wanna know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...